Fukinotou is spring taste of Japan / Butterbur sprout cooking / Food

Fukinotou / Butterbur scape 
Northern Japanese people often eat this wild plant in spring season.
I do love Fukinotou and it reminds me of memories.


I never thought I could buy Fukinotou in America!


But these are overgrown.


Tiny bud is good to eat.


There are many recipe of Fukinotou.
But please don't eat Fukinotou too much 
because it has strong bitter taste and harshness.

Tempura of spring wild plants are eaten with salt.
Matcha green tea salt is also good.

 Fuki-miso preservation is also popular.
This is nice topping for rice and rice ball.
Stir fried Fukinotou, miso, sake rice wine,a little bit of sugar are blended.
Please add sesame oil if you like it.





I recommend miso soup too.
I always add chopped and pre-boiled Fukinotou into a pan just before eat.